Startups and Entrepreneurship
4 Steps to Making Ideas Actionable
- Who it’s from: Brenton Hayden via Entrepreneur
- What it is: 4 great steps to jump the hurdle that stands between ideas and action.
- Why we like it: Entrepreneurs and other creatives generate ideas like it’s their job (Oh wait…it is). But what makes them successful is taking action on these ideas. This can make or break your startup!
From Lemonade to Babies: 8 Lessons on How to Talk About Impact Investing
- Who it’s from: Cathy Clark via B The Change Media
- What it is: 8 tips on how to explain the basics of impact investing so that anybody can understand.
- Why we like it: Cathy uses the conversation with her daughter to enlighten readers about the basics of communicating about impact investing. As we all know, explaining a complex topic in a simple way can be much harder than diving in to the details!
The State Of Social Enterprise Ecosystems
- Who it’s from: Anne Field via Forbes
- What it is: After much research by Halcyon Incubator and Capital One, Anne explains the four “pillars” of a healthy social enterprise ecosystem.
- Why we like it: From plants to people, growing things need a healthy environment in order to thrive. The same goes for social enterprises!
Solutions to Poverty
16-Year-Old South African Invents A Low-Cost, Biodegradable Polymer to Combat Drought
- Who it’s from: Hadassah Egbedi via Ventures Africa
- What it is: An introduction of Kiara Nirghin, a 16 year old girl who aims to preserve crops throughout South Africa’s drought.
- Why we like it: From preserving livelihoods to utilizing would-be waste, Egbedi has created a beautiful social enterprise!
Obama: Global Development Is Not Charity
- Who it’s from: Sheela Nimishakavi via Non Profit Quarterly
- What it is: A summary of President Obama’s views on global development – he knows that investment in for-profit enterprises creates flourishing and stability for all.
- Why we like it: We agree – global development is certainly different than aid! We believe in long-term, empowering investments in developing communities worldwide.